Public Attending Board Meetings
The Manurewa Central Board welcomes public presence at board meetings and hopes that members of the public enjoy their time observing board meetings.
Members of the public include staff, students and parents of the school who are not members on the board.
These procedures will be provided to members of the public attending meetings so that they understand the rules that apply and will be followed unless otherwise authorised by the board:
- Board meetings are not public meetings but meetings held in public.
- If the meeting moves to exclude the public (usually to protect the privacy of individuals), members of the public will be asked to leave the meeting until this aspect of business has been concluded.
- Members of the public may request speaking rights on a particular subject that is on the agenda. Preferably, this request has been made in advance. Public participation is at the discretion of the board.
- Speakers shall be restricted to a maximum of 3 minutes each per subject, with a time limit of 15 minutes per interest group.
- No more than 5 speakers on any one topic.
- Speakers are not to question the board and must speak to the topic.
- Board members will not address questions or statements to speakers.
- Speakers shall not be disrespectful or offensive or make malicious statements or claims.
- If the Presiding Member believes that any of these have occurred or the speaker has gone over time, they will be asked to finish.
This procedure approved by the School Board on 14 February 2022